Wednesday 22 September 2010

20s Cell

So, last night was the first meeting of the 20 somethings group from Chorleywood church. In an aim to give people a place to progress to at the end of the youth programme and also to make sure that the uni students have somewhere they can go with people of a similar age when they are back in the area between terms, this group has been setup with an aim to do worship, Bible study, discussion and general social activities (BANTER)- the group is currently nameless.

There were many people there last night. However, it will soon reduce in number as the students head off to various years of university life. Some of them for the first time. The vision is that there will be a sort of buddy system where those of us that will be regular in attendance will feed information on to those at uni. This will keep them very much in the loop and part of the fellowship.

Last night we examined 1 John Chapter 1. What I was struck by in this chapter was that it was based on experience. This was a letter from John, a man who had actually walked side by side with Jesus, spoken to him face to face and shared bread with him, saying that he would not be complete in his joy until he had shared it with others. Were three says "What we have seen and heard we announce to you too, so that you may have fellowship with us and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ"

An amazing verse. John who experienced Christ first hand, on a personal level, wants to share that experience with us so that we too may be part of the fellowship. Not just an addition, not just a number to add to the people who believe but an equal partner in the fellowship. Not only that but the fellowship is also between God and Jesus. We are allowed, through the word, to join with the intimate and unending relationship of Father and Son. One of unconditional love and infinate wisdom.

The rest of the chapter has a focus on Jesus as the light of the world. With him there is NO darkness and if we too want to announce that we walk in the light then we actually have to do it. There is no chance to hide in the shadows and be in darkness in our hearts and minds and simply pay lip service. Doing so is a lie and it was really interesting to read that the end of the chapter stated "If we say we have not sinned we make him (God) a liar and his word is not in us"

Not only is it deceptive to ourselves to think we are blameless and sinless but to announce it is to suggest that God is wrong when he says we are sinful. Jesus made it very clear that all have sinned and only in the acknowledgement of that and choosing to walk in the light of Jesus, joining in with that fellowship shared by God and Jesus, do we become purified by his sacrifice.

Amazing evening and one that spoke to me on a very personal level. For a long time I have felt that I am simply paying lip service to my faith. I have been scared to stand out from the crowd as a Christian and I have lacked the courage to want to encourage others to listen to what Jesus has for them so that they too may share in something that has improved my life tenfold. I hope that this year I grow in my relationship with God. I have, in recent years, taken him off of my spiritual speed-dial. He is not the first person I turn to when I am happy, when I am sad or in need. He should be. I should glorify him in all that I do and I really believe that this year is going to help me do that in preparation for further ministry.

Your prayers would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment