Wednesday 6 October 2010

Born to lead?

Today I had the first set of lectures in the term at CML. We are doing the Leadership module.

The lecturer started with introducing the different styles of leadership that are prevailent in the world today and how each of them differ, we did a lot of questionaire tests to work out our own style and generally to assess where we are. But the most interesting and perhaps challenging part of today was when he said "Everyone is born with the ability to lead" - I am not sure that I agree.

As Christians we are constantly told about discerning what gifts God has for you. I remember being told over the years that not everyone is supposed to do everything. Some people don't play any instruments or have the ability to sing, so the chances are God is not going to call them to be worship leaders. Some people really don't do well with reading aloud and in front of people, so chances are God is not going to choose them to do Bible readings at cell/life groups or at church. But then this phrase comes in that we are all called to lead? Some people, I am afraid, are not born leaders. They don't inspire or motivate people, their gifts are not in time management or planning. Some people just lack charisma that is needed for leadership. It is not a bad thing, their gifts, no doubt, lay elsewhere but I just don't think it is healthy to suggest that everyone can be taught to lead because it is already within them somewhere.

The lecturer was also talking about influence and Christians infiltrating society in order to evengelise in a way that was not shouting from street corners with a megaphone and I full agree that Christians are called to influence people with their chosen way to live. The morals that go against the accepted secular norm in favour of a different way of life. I fully agree that influence is PART of leadership.

For example, if I were to buy a homeless person a cup of coffee because I felt that I should and that example caused a passerby to reconsider their stance on charity, that is influence. I don't think it is leadership. Leadership comes with a more hands on approach over a longer period of time. You have to be there to walk with people as they progress, you have to motivate and encourage in times that are difficult, you have to reward their success and share in their joy of achievement. This is a process that is on-going and could last for years (or until the end of a project)

I also agree that different leaders and different styles of leadership are needed for various times and varying socities and such like but I still don't think that everyone has the ability to be a leader.

Ultimately, it is in the hands of God. My personal faith would have me believe that God would never call you to do something that you are not capable of. Maybe there is a dormant and underlying seed of leadership within everyone he created that is awoken at the right point, for the right purpose and then is done. I don't know.

Just thought I would share my thoughts.

God Bless

2 comments:

  1. I find the message that we have a pre-determined set of attributes a rather depressing teaching. I believe each and everyone of us can achieve any goal, be it to learn a musical instrument, leading others, or any other of the wonderful challenges life throws at us. I'm not a good singer, but I could be if I put the time and the effort in.

    Your teaching seems to be to give up at the things you are currently no good at, "it's just not your thing", rather than to strive to better ourselves.

    Do you believe you are good at magic because your god made you so, or because of many years of trying? To pick the former seems to downplay your diligence.

    Do you believe you are already good at leading others on their spiritual paths in life, or that you will be after many year of dedicated study and practice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simon,

    Thank you for the comment.

    Regarding singing, I agree that most people can be taught to sing to some level. However, it is not always the case. My singing tutor had a student that simply could not hear the difference between notes. She was never going to be a singer. She was not born with the ability to process the notes in the same was as others. She could have continued to strive to be a singer but in reality, it was never going to happen.

    I don't think you should give up on something if you enjoy it and you get pleasure from it but you need to be realistic and accept your limitations. You simply cannot do everything.

    Your comment on magic is an interesting one. I believe that anyone with good working hands can be taught the process of learning a trick and can repeat the moves. This would not make them a good magician. It would make them technically proficient in the sleight of hand aspect of magic. Magic is, however, a performance art. Not everyone can perform it. Not everyone can be taught to perform it. People can be given instruction and the correct teaching in regard to the skills and techniques used but that is still not going to guarentee that you are able to perform magic to a professional level. I know I am never going to be a Vegas magician. I am skilled, I have performance ability, but I know my limits.

    I believe that I have some of the correct skills to be a leader in the church. I believe that the training I recieve (should I be deemed suitable when I attend selection panel) will help me to hone those skills. Ultimately I feel that I have been called to this role, I don't believe God calls you for tasks that are out of your capability. His call may require you to adjust, adapt and improve but ultimately, it would be foolish for him to, for example, call a tone deaf person to lead worship in church, no matter how much training and instruction they recieved.

    I am not saying that people cannot improve themselves and learn new skills. I am simply saying that not everyone is a leader, I certainly don't think I am yet.

    ReplyDelete